Friday, March 28, 2008

Day 12 – Friday

What a great day; I woke up in time to see a 7:20 am sunrise and have a 3 minute video for those who care to view as well as a video clip of the kind of panoramic view I’ve been watching for the past nine days; so special that I’m extending my stay another five and will depart for the north on April 4th. During that time I will continue to pursue the condos available and with a mortgage broker I’m in contact with down here, see what I can pull off. I’m awaiting also word from my financial planner to see it any of this is possible. As I’ve surmised in the past, anyone with money should pounce on the deals available. The views I’ve seen have houses going at unbelievable prices, fully furnished!!! I’m developing my Pro And Con list (for re-locating to FL) and if any of my readers would care to add their two cents, they are welcome to do so.
My morning walk south was interesting today. I came upon a crowd of at least one hundred gathered where waves meet shore and, with the Beach Patrol present, thought for sure, they had a serious situation. Turned out that a dolphin had been seen very close to shore and having difficulty with the waves crashing in. Some of the crowd were trying to save it by keeping the blow hole covered and the entire body wet, as per the bull horn instructions from the patrolman. I spoke with the officer and wondered if one had washed ashore would there be others? Probably not, was his answer; so it seemed this was a single incident. He indicated that Sea World was on their way over and the usual rescue operation would take place with the dolphin being taken away. As I turned to head back north to my motel, I glanced back and saw 4 or 5 guys walking the dolphin out into deeper waters amidst large waves that came crashing into them. Based on their spacing as they helped, I would guess the length of the dolphin to be about ten feet long. They raised their hands in jubilation as, apparently, the dolphin began maneuvering on its own. The crowds followed but alas between the large waves and the shallow depth, I could see the dolphin floundering (if you’ll excuse the pun) and being pushed back toward shore but still in the water. At low tide, the Daytona Beach shoreline is hundreds of feet from where cars travel north and south. The literature brags of 500 feet in some places; it’s a great place to walk; the sand is hard packed but when dried as up near the sea walls, the texture of the sand is that of confectionery sugar.
This evening’s meal was enjoyed in Ponce Inlet at the Inlet Harbor Marina and Restaurant: http://www.inletharbor.com/menu.html Check out the menu, I had Crispy Grouper; great stuff. The place was mobbed, we had to wait an hour or so AND it’s not their season yet. Waitress lets us know that “It’s like this every night.”
And, finally, I called my cousin Larry and it looks like it’s a go for a trip to Boca Raton tomorrow. One aspect of my “perfect” plan has changed if you have read previous posts. I wanted to catch Matt Scherer doing some relieving in a one o’clock game tomorrow. Seems that due to a finger injury, the club has sent him back down to the Double A team in Springfield, MO. Chatting with Mary Ellen, the Big Boys will be there for a scrimmage; that is, the St. Louis Cardinal…pro team; Oh well, good luck Matt.



1 comment:

sal said...

OK Charlie. I'm still reading your blog. ML told me that Vicky may have to go to the Dr. for some kind of sleeping sickness. I believe I have it too!! The only pattern I see is that we both read your blogs. And your video attachments of the waves and the wind-blown beach really worked wonders. I showed it to folks who tried everything but couldn't get to sleep and it worked miracles. So you see, you've got an invention there.

Re moving to Florida, SAY IT AIN'T SO. You are a New Yorker!! People go to Florida to DIE!! I mean, do you read your own BLOGS???

Love you Charlie!! And whatever you decide, I'll support, as long as I don't have to pay for it!!!!!!

Too bad about Matt!!!
Miss ya'
Sal