Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 16 – Tuesday


The cloud cover this morning prevented me from catching the sunrise. It was about 8:10a.m. when it finally burst forth. According to the research I did, I can see just about 3 miles to the horizon, 2.33 miles to be exact. If you take the square root of your height and multiply it by 1.23 miles, you get the distance that you “see” the horizon. The math for this is at http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html for the non-believers. This is at sea level. If you’re on a 100’ cliff, you would have to add that to your height.
Anyway, after the sunrise, it was another good day for a walk. After an hour and some slathering of suntan lotion, I parked myself on a chaises and listened to my iPod for the next two hours, turning periodically for proper baking and self basting. At one or so I drove over to P&M’s house in port Orange and joined them for lunch. Another totally relaxing day…but not really. I finally checked my messages yesterday and even though the number of rings indicated I had none, I, instead, found that I had thirteen. That, to me, was an astounding number and I was hoping that most of them were non-job related. Except for County Legislator, Andy Spano, almost telling me something (before I deleted it), the rest were computer problems. I returned many of those calls and apologized for not responding sooner AND that I would be returning from FL by the end of the week. I am not really looking forward to any of it nor the upcoming airport trips that I’ve booked. I’ve got to look at the definition of RETIRED once again and do some soul searching in all areas of my life. The status quo has gone on long enough, it’s time for a change. As the day draws nearer for my departure, I assure you the topics of discussion that have been and will continue to swirl around in my head are too numerous and too personal to share here. I can say the anticipation of what lies ahead, the experiences I’ve enjoyed, both expected and unexpected on this ‘adventure, were truly exciting and stimulating. Being alone with as much time as I’ve had to myself, in a different environment, walking the beach, and/or sunning has afforded me hours and hours with which to think and helped point me in a direction I’m eager to follow.

1 comment:

vc said...

Boo hoo for me, but horray for you! As I have said before, and you can quote me whenever, or remind me when I forget, "live life while life lives within you." If you choose to "re-locate" and not just become a "snowbird," then I will be losing my best girlfriend! Please tell me you want to be a snowbird!